According to research conducted by Brazilian scientists, consuming melatonin 30 min before going to bed can help in restricting one’s migraine headaches.
Melatonin is mostly associated with inducing sleep. Also known as the ‘darkness hormone’, it is secreted by the pineal gland and regulates the human body’s wake-sleep cycle. Today, the natural sleep aid melatonin is utilized in treating ailments like insomnia, sleep disorders and even headaches.
Mario F.P. Peres, MD, Ph.D., of Hospital Israelita Albert Einstein in Sao Paolo with his team of researchers, conducted a study:
They surveyed 34 patients with records of serious migraine attacks. In the first month, the researchers didn’t consume melatonin and scientists recorded their symptoms throughout.
However, in the last 3 months, the participants took 3 milligrams of melatonin supplements before bedtime. Now, out of the 32 participants, more than 2/3 said that their symptoms of a migraine receded. Moreover, their disposition and libido increased likewise. So,
How can one use melatonin for treating migraine sufferers?
Researchers have found that melatonin which is secreted at night affects the receptors of pain-relieving molecules. These lead to decrease in pain sensation which puts a stop to migraines. Hence, migraine sufferers can consume 3 mg of the supplement 30 – 60 min before going to bed. This can be continued for 2 – 3 months.
Apart from this, melatonin is also said to cure fibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia is a condition when a person feels a recurring pain in parts of his/her body. Melatonin, in another study conducted, has shown to have a placebo effect on participants.
People who have fibromyalgia were given 30 milligrams of melatonin for a month and then, were stopped. Later again, the patients were given the same dose and showed surprising signs of pain relief. This has shown a placebo effect of consuming melatonin.
However, melatonin has extensive flexibility; here are some extra benefits of using melatonin supplements.
Buying melatonin for migraine
In the USA melatonin for migraine is widely available in drug stores, online retailers. It is very difficult to buy melatonin uk and also in the rest of Europe – most countries prohibit the sale of Melatonin sleep aids for migraine.
Benefits of taking melatonin supplements
- Melatonin is a powerful antioxidant which helps protect the human body from oxidative stress. Its strong action inhibits cellular autotrophy and removes toxins that can disrupt mitochondrial functions.
- Melatonin boosts immune function and helps to protect the body from immunosuppressive diseases. Moreover, it fights infection and symptoms of premature ageing.
- Melatonin due to its antihypertensive effect maintains blood pressure. This, in turn, reduces depression and anxiety.
- It is a natural treatment for gut dysbiosis, IBS, stress-induced stomach upset, colitis, etc.
- Melatonin’s antioxidant abilities are beneficial in curing Parkinson’s disease and Alzheimer’s.
- Ageing can affect thyroid function improperly, where melatonin supplements can help due to their protective abilities.
- Researchers have shown, taking melatonin helps suppress PMDD, a severe form of the pre-menstrual Melatonin therapy can keep women free of symptoms from the luteal phase of their menstrual cycle.
In conclusion, melatonin has a number of benefits and can be used to treat conditions like migraines and insomnia. Moreover, these supplements are available in most parts of the world over the counter. So, consuming a limited dose can help a person cure the ailments mentioned above.